Headlights and Compassion


I was precepted in the OR as a circulator and a scrub for nine months. It was pretty grueling as far as training goes, every day was a new person, new surgery, new growth. As far as life goes, it was nice. Monday-Friday, 7/3, I learned how to meal prep and work out after work.

The training was separated by the surgery service, and I spent a few weeks in other services before heading to urology. Excited or not for the service, I was excited for the bigger cases I would see that day. I love cases where you’re elbow deep in guts.

I digress. By the time the patient was prepped and the surgeons were scrubbing in, I was exhausted. I couldn’t wait to sit down and chart, I could barely remember what we had to in order to chart!

When the surgeons came in, hands dripping and elbows swaying, one younger one sighed. We looked up, I didn’t know what was wrong. My heart dropped, worried that something was wrong with the patient.

He sighed, looked down, and asked for a headlight.

Now, I was confused, why not just put one on and go use the other scrub. Why did I have to work harder because he forgot? We already had to get onto him and work to make the positioning actually work.

My preceptor jumped up, got it, and set him up with a smile and without a word.

My blood didn’t boil, but it was close.

When we finally sat down again, I asked her why she didn’t make him get it himself.

What she said floored me.

If he is tired, my patient suffers. So I need to do everything I can within my power to make sure he’s not tired.

What an exceptional outlook on how the circulator is the biggest patient advocate, by his or her actions and by supporting every single aspect of the room. The entire room. All the people.

And how can we best advocate for our patients than giving our room the best possible environment in which to operate?

Comments

  1. I have always been a huge fan of your work. This one too is equally awesome. Message has been received loud and clear.
    Btw, are you a fitness freak? If you are from Jaipur, there’s this gym Fit O’Clock that should be perfect for your ideal health regime. Speaking from my experience, the gym has it all, from advanced machines to great instructors. The best gym in Jaipur (well, it did wonders for me!).

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Perioperative Nurse Residencies

Critical Observation: Part 6

Open Communication in the OR