For Them


Be present.

There are so many reasons to lose the multitasking ways you thought were getting you ahead.

The biggest reason is the unhappiness that comes from being elsewhere.

I realize, as the die-hard lover of all things MULTI that this might sound like an insult. A hypocrite telling you what to do while not practicing the motions herself.

I am trying.

I find that once I lose myself to the room and gain more connections with others, a lot of negative emotions lose hold. And I’m free. And in the moments that follow, I am more happy to attend to those things that I was putting aside.

Case one: I check emails during cases when the work is done, but the surgery is still going. I see that a peer has emailed back revisions.

I scroll by. The next moment, the phone rings about another patient waiting for a prescription to go home.

That is definitely more important. And I am not worried about my emails and things I cannot change in this moment. Things that certainly require my undivided attention. Just like this room.

There is enough in the OR to distract you. Do not let your own mind become one of them.

Fall back in love with your job by being present and asking yourself what changes you can make to see a brighter future for those who are with you and those who will follow.

That’s why we do this in the first place.

For them.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Perioperative Nurse Residencies

Leadership: Part 8

Critical Observation: Part 6