Perioperative Nurse Residencies


Great! You got the call back and they want you. Whether or not you start before you take your NCLEX, there are a few guidelines for nursing residencies, especially in the OR.

First, this is a real-life nursing job. Whether you’ve had a real job before, had a nursing job before, or never worked a day in your life besides school, this is completely different. Now that you’ve finished with school, you’re back in for more! This time there’s more at stake and there are a whole lot of relationships, connections, and bridges you need to harness.

This is where life gets tricky. How many times did you procrastinate and do that assignment late because you knew you could? Now every day you have something due, and it is mostly mental and physical muscle memory, not a tangible paper essay.

How many times did you sleep in a little, roll into class late, maybe talk to your professor once a month? Now every day you must be on time according to the clock, every day you are accountable for your actions, and every day you speak to the person who will pass or fail your perioperative nursing abilities.

How many times were you able to tell your family that the hard part will be over after this weekend, after this month, after this semester? Now you are in the grind, and maybe you can ask for a month to get in the swing of the schedule or warn them during your new independence you will be stressed, but this is it. This is what a real life nursing job is going to be.

Now, do not let me scare you. Your educator is human and so are your managers. Calling ahead of time and warning them that the kids were throwing up (you were throwing up), the car did not start, or you simply forgot your alarm will give you points as long as you do not call every day. The hospital actually wants you to succeed, it costs a lot more than you realize to train you so why would they want to fire you?

Say it with me – you will be an amazing perioperative nurse. You just have to go through the training and forgive yourself for needing to learn. Unfortunately very few nursing schools will teach towards perioperative nursing, and fortuantely for you, that makes your skillset rare and sought-out.

Perioperative residencies generally last 6-9 months and operate 7-3 Monday through Friday. You will most likely not get 3 12 hour shifts, and believe me, you probably do not want them. You may trade shifts and precept during off shifts. In the middle you may review services or scrubbing cases, and by the end you should feel very confident in your ability to perform a case (even if there are some hiccups).

Hiccups are normal. Everyone has them. Just recognize and own your mistakes as soon as you realize them.

Another startch difference between OR residencies is that there is no time for preceptor-preceptee matching. You would not want it either. Even if you got along great with your preceptor, they cannot be experts in each speciality and that discomfort far ouweights the benefits of having a preceptor that fits your learning style.

Adapt. You are a nurse first. If they like to talk and you like to read, write everything they say down. Do not focus on the computer, because charting takes time you can practice later. Watching everything your preceptor does and visualizing his or her flow will let you take in what you like, and discard what you do not.

Focus on learning every aspect of why they do what they do when they do it, as much as how they do it. This goes for circulating and scrubbing cases, although both roles are important and have similarities, there are huge differences and skills for each.

If you learn to scrub, scrub first if you can. Learn the process of the case, learn the body language of surgeons under pressure, and learn how to small talk, pass instruments, and listen to the anesthesia beep.

If you understand the surgical process, listening from 15 feet away in your circulator corner will be that much easier. Still, watch the surgeon’s body language and listen to the anesthesia beep, but listen when the small talk dies down and look on the screen if you are in a laparoscopic case or have a camera light handle.

Remember that as a circulator, you are responsible for every single moment in that room. It is for that accountability and responsibility that the managers hired. You seemed confident, in charge, and willing to stand up for your patients. They trust you. I trust you. Your patient needs you.

Take in whatever your preceptors say and do, and practice your flow as soon as you are able. You can always start in the middle or take over during lunch, in fact, I encourage not always starting from the beginning because you will not always start from the beginning. Make yourself uncomfortable so you get familiar and comfortable with that anxiety.

Always take the opportunity to do instead of watch. Try to teach when you feel confident in your own abilities.

Never, ever, let someone give your learning experience away to a medical student.

When your residency is done, it is a big deal! Congratulations on achieving something not many will do in their lifetimes, even if they did pass NCLEX. You are a perioperative nurse, and we rely on you to keep us safe when we cannot speak for ourselves.

Thank you for choosing this profession. We need you here.

Comments

  1. Mary, thank you so much for these blog entries!! They have helped out tremendously. The application period for new grad residencies is right around the corner, and I can't wait! Perioperative nursing is the whole reason I decided to change careers and go back to nursing school. Hopefully I can do a good job relaying that message and show that I would be a good fit for a residency spot somewhere, when the time comes. I hope to see you in September at the AORN meeting!
    Thanks again!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am SO GLAD Jeff! Thank you for letting me know what you need. Is there more I can do for you with everything right around the corner? I am excited to meet you in September, I hope to do a lot for nursing students to learn just how amazing perioperative nursing can be. How did you find out about it? What makes you want it? Be yourself and it'll show. :)

      Delete
    2. Hi Mary!

      I am working on getting my resume and cover letters done and I had a question that I thought you might be able to answer. In your experience have you ever known any nursing students to shadow nurses in the OR? Specifically, ones that do not work or have clinicals at that location. I've had people suggest doing this. However, with HIPPA and general hospital policy, I've wondered if that would even be an option. I mean, I would absolutely love the exposure, along with picking up any bits of good information to use down the road. And of course, being able to put that on a resume would probably help show my interest as well. I wanted to check with you and see if you have ever witnessed or heard of this being done, or any advice that you may have. I start class next week and still don't have any idea what hospital I will be doing my clinicals at this semester. So I'm still hopeful, that with a large enough hospital system, I might possibly be able to shadow a few days on my own time. I had inquired over the summer if I might be lucky enough to do my final semester in the OR and was told that area is never offered to us.

      I'm fighting this uphill battle, but I'm determined to make it work! :) As always, your advice is very much appreciated!

      Thanks and have a great week Mary!

      Jeff

      Delete
    3. Hey Jeff!

      Good for you! Keep up the great work!

      I would say that you would have to find a surgeon or OR educator (staff may not be able to hold much weight), that would be willing to let you shadow. I'm not sure if there is an OR RN at your school, we had one even though we did not have an OR elective, but she would have the contract with the school.

      I know people get in the OR by knowing anesthesiologists or surgeons, or, finding patients going to the OR and asking that nurse (and your instructor) if you can follow your patient. Maybe a smaller hospital would have less hoops as well.

      I went to the OR through my patients during clinical hours because I spoke with my instructors about wanting the experience. However, I was not able to leave the SICU during my final semester.

      Let me know if that helps! :) Keep trucking, it will be well worth the effort!

      MA

      Delete
    4. Thanks for the ideas, Mary!

      Delete
  2. Hi Mary - is the Perioperative Nurse Residency at your institution really prestigious in terms of how many people are accepted vs. how many apply? I think that prestige really gets you high quality nursing talent who may not have the experience yet, but has something far more important - the hunger to learn; the humility to know what they don't know; and, the ambition to extend themselves when appropriate.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Critical Observation: Part 6

Open Communication in the OR