Fitness Advice

Recently I answered an email about fitness and I thought it might help others to see my side of the coin.


Please let me know if you have any questions!



I have a few questions. One water how much should I consume in one day? 


Water consumption is based on weight. Definitely try for 16 ounces before and during your work out. It's a lot, and if you're not used to it you may need to pee during your work out (and all day). Your body will adapt and get used to the consumption and pee less over time. It's generally 8 ounces per body pound of weight, but some days I get even more just because I'm thirsty or I'm trying not to eat.

 

Is their anything else that is healthy to drink beside water?

Water is the best because it has nothing added. If you drink something else, it technically does not count toward your overall water intake. If you need caffeine, tea and coffee (without anything added) are fine. Caffeine might make you less thirsty for water, so remember to keep up with your water. I would read the labels of other drinks, and try to keep sugar under 6 grams. If you drink alcohol, let me know. Alcohol is added calories, but it also decreases your ability to train and maintain your good diet choices. 

Personally I like flavored water, like BCAAs from 1st Phorm. BCAAs are branch chain amino acids, so the 3 main amino acids that make up protein and could potentially build protein while you consume BCAAs. I say could because there is no real raw data that BCAAs help you build muscle. I have free shipping through 1stphorm.com/maa but if you decide to go with another brand, watch out for the amount of sugar and other ingredients. Try to keep sugar below 6 grams during any meal or snack. 

If you keep hydrated you will notice you will not get hungry as much. How much are you eating a day?


Good what foods should I buy meal prep to eat? Do you eat 3 times a day or more? 

It's difficult to say how much or what you should be eating. Have you ever tracked what you eat in a day? Would you do that for me please? Pick a typical work/school day and a typical weekend/off day and just write down everything you eat or drink.  

I need to know the ratio of the different types of calories you're eating. We have protein, carbohydrates, and fats. The typical American diet (actually, where do you live?) is high carbs and fats, which is not conducive for weight loss. 

I will probably increase your lean protein grams to match your body weight. 

I typically eat 5-7 times a day, 3-4 hours apart. But it's only 250 calories at a time, so my overall calories are still around 1700 a day, which is all I need. I eat about 24 grams of protein each meal, and never eat more carbs than protein unless it's before or after training (or cheat meal, which is more fats because that's what I crave). 



What does your plan for food look like or where can I go to find it to help me? 

Typically I make a protein pancake from 1st Phorm Level 1 protein powder
(.5 scoop protein powder
1 ounce applesauce 
1 egg
3 egg whites
20 grams oatmeal
Makes 3 small pancakes)
For breakfast. 

Then I'll have 3.5 ounces of turkey or chicken with 50-100 grams of sweet potato and vegetables for lunch and dinner. 

Then I eat quest bars, or Simply Protein bars for snacks. 

I also make 1st Phorm Level 1 Ice Cream
(1 scoop protein powder
6 ounces almond milk
7 ice cubes
Blend)
For a snack. 


I want to lose 20-30 pounds lift weights get lean like you. What should I do? 

If you're gaining weight, we'll reduce total calories or carbohydrates. We can also add a few sessions of steady state cardio or HIIT cardio. If you would like to build muscle, it'll be up to you how much time you're willing to wait to be lean and muscular. You need calories and carbs to build muscle, so it's a balance. 

What is your gym schedule like? What is your intensity at the gym? 

1st Phorm also offers a free website that has a bunch of nutrition and gym work outs. If you'd like to sign up, you'll be linked to me and I can walk you through the website and you can join the challenge. :)


What is your motivation level? It's just hard work, dedication, and time. There are some days you don't want to go to the gym or eat well, but you have to stay on track and be consistent. Of course there are bad days and when you get back on board, the time isn't horribly wasted. That's why I love to motivate and show how hard it can be but how you can push through. 

Anyways. I know that this is a lot of information, but I'm here to help! 

Track your food for me and keep asking questions! I'm here for you! :)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Perioperative Nurse Residencies

Open Communication in the OR

Critical Observation: Part 6