Leadership: Part 8


Leadership

I’m still learning. I hope that I’ve expressed that enough times that you believe me not as expert in the field, but as an expert in my perception of my experiences in the field. That’s why AORN asked for the Forty Under 40 to help them reach out to the youth. We are the experts in the experience of people who grew up with cell phones, a hundred million Google hits, and literally no delays.

I’m only trying to build myself in the best way I know how – ask for mentorship and experiences for my end goal. I want to be the CEO of AORN and the CNO of a hospital. I need to know the business, I need to be an exceptional leader, and I need to know how to mentor others. I’m naturally talented at building connections, whether it be financial, people, or goals, but I’m not the best and I’m certainly not practiced enough in the art and science of anything.

I know I’m young, but I cannot wait for years in the field to make me the best. That’s been proven to not be enough. Just because someone has 25 years in the OR does not make them the best preceptor – nor does it make them leadership material.

These stories are my experiences and I want to share them with my people. Regardless of age, there are people who want to be the best and are willing to put in extra work as the time flies without consideration of your needs. This is my form of mentoring and giving back to the OR community that I’ve grown to know and love. I would die for this profession, and I will bleed daily for the hopes of becoming the expert.

Leadership can be a talent, but it can be groomed and trained. I know this because I am a natural motivator and instigator, which can be bad if you’re in the club with me. But it can be great if you’re a coworker looking to get certified or whether you can commit to that Master’s program. You can, you should, and you eventually will when it becomes priority.

I know that I can be groomed because I’ve read enough about emotional intelligence and I’ve become more aware of my feelings and how I project them on others. I’m better at managing my perception of personal attacks and recognizing when others feel attacked. I’m growing the skills to ask my peers to recognize their pain and allow it to feed their desires, without bringing others down.

One thing that helps you grow as a greater-good leader, is accepting that compassion is the truest way to provide for others. And that compassion is your claim to fame. Will others come to you if they don’t feel supported? Will others follow you if they don’t believe that you’re operating in their best interest? Can you help them visualize the vision, mission, and goals that align with their values and your bigger picture needs?

Do you need people who don’t have your values?

Do you need more followers or can you cultivate leaders?

Comments

  1. We live in a time where contribution is RELIANT on as wide of breadth and diverse perspective as possible - that means diversity in gender, age, etc. - the fact that AORN has asked you to contribute should be a sign to you that you are seen as a leader and someone who brings a valuable perspective to help advance the issues that mean the most to the health and growth of our practice area. Proud of you.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Perioperative Nurse Residencies

Critical Observation: Part 6