I just wanted to be me


I spent the day with paid OR leaders. It was interesting, they wanted to advocate for the youth without providing us the necessary tools – give us something we can afford, on a day we can go, and tell us we can bring change back.

That’s what I thought at least, 3 years ago when I started going to every single event AORN put on. The second I realized they wouldn’t kick me out of the Leadership Seminar just because I was only a staff nurse, I was in there like white on rice.

No joke. Sitting next to a CNO or a VP in a room filled with doctorates?

It makes you step your game up.

I hope forever more, I am always the weakest link.

Because that means I have something else to strive for, to become, to be better.

So while if you know me, you know I’m itching with anticipation and I cannot wait to be “done,” I am 100% fully cognitively aware that the second that I’m “done” I will find another pursuit.

I’ve already done it a thousand times.

I got comfortable at my job and went for my Master’s. I got comfortable with that work load and got a PRN job. I got comfortable with that flow and went after my personal training certificate and fitness nutritionist certificate.

I panicked with my Master’s was ending, what was next?

A doctorate.

Tell me I can’t, tell me I should wait, tell me it’s not time – I’m gonna make time.

The Universe heard me and the stars aligned and they accepted my plea to become better.

It wasn’t even a cop out, I won fair and square, I made the list.

I made the list with AORN’s Forty Under 40.

It felt like I created that list, neither here nor there.

I crawled through tunnels unfit for humankind. I wanted this. My fingers bled each time I came up from climbing up the well. I just wanted to breathe in an environment that was stifling.

I just wanted to be me.

Now I’m working towards becoming a yoga instructor and competing in powerlifting.

I’m working.

Notice, I said working.

This is hard. This takes a lot of time, effort, and tears.

This doctorate hurts my head. Sometimes I cry. I had to make it not personal.

Even the weights make me cry sometimes, everything is my fault.

But that’s a different mentality.

That’s a autonomous, responsibility-driven, ownership mentality.

This is always my circus. This is always my fault.

But I fully believe I can make it better.

So tell me what your goals are and I will help you achieve them. I want you to be as happy as I am in the struggle.

Because I’m always struggling. Make no mistake.

This is the preacher preaching to the choir.

A humble preacher wanting to help.

Love your faults. Build yourself. Know what you want, then go get it.

Relax babe, You’ve got this.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Perioperative Nurse Residencies

Critical Observation: Part 6

Open Communication in the OR