Thank You Ronda Rousey

There are so many ways to start this blog post, and I apologize for posting twice in one day, but just as I respond to the American Nurses Association's legislature emails, I feel that I must pay respects when due.

Ronda Rousey was my original inspiration to the creation of the New Me.

Even my trainer jokes, to this day, 2 years later, of when we first met. He asked me what my fitness goals were, and I told him, "make me look like Ronda Rousey".

Now, I cannot lie to you. I have evolved and her fighter body is no longer the look I want to achieve. But in the beginning, whenever I thought about quitting, I remembered the videos of Ronda training and her dedication to her sport, which was always apparent, and it gave me strength to tell my mind to tell my body to shut up.

If I wanted to look like a bada** mofo, I was going to have to put in the work and if I complained, kept it out of the gym.

I still remember about 9 months in, someone told me I looked like Ronda, not knowing my background or that that would be the biggest compliment I received that year. I didn't cry then, but I cried when I got home.

When Ronda's autobiography came out, I was about 6 months into my journey, and self-discovery was becoming a habit, not a struggle. I still wanted every single carb in existence, but my love for sweets could be held at bay and alcohol was no longer a daily occurrence.

Now, I didn't, and still don't, want to live in my car to achieve insane dreams, but I am so thankful that Ronda not only put herself out there, but did so in such a real, best friend chat way, that I was able to connect with the power of "dream big".

And I cannot say thank you enough or pay her back for that experience.

If I am honest, I am very upset about her loss. Not that I care that she lost, but that I truly, deeply, honestly care for her like a best friend or sister. I hate that she is going through so much social upset and has to deal with such a negative response to the personality that so many cared for in the beginning. Why stand with anyone if you're not willing to stand with them when they fail?

Ronda Rousey was my original inspiration. She is my continuous reminder that anything is possible. She is who I look to for guidance in my professional attitude, personal relationships, and mental mind-game that comes with absolute determination to win.

She is beautiful, inside and out.

Ronda Rousey is loved.

And even if she never fights again, she created the sport by paving a path for female fighters everywhere, and her legacy will remain as such.

Thank you Ronda Rousey, for being you.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Perioperative Nurse Residencies

Open Communication in the OR

Critical Observation: Part 6