AORN International Surgical Conference and Expo 2017

    This year I attended the AORN International Surgical Conference and Expo for the second time. I had high expectations, as I was blown away last year by the friendships and knowledge I received. However, I was nervous because of the snow and rain, and I knew that I would be just as tired as last year. I most definitely suffer from FOMO, or fear of mission out. I want to attend every session, every party, every physical activity offered. Last year I was so focused on not missing out, that I missed out on talking to people.
    So this year, I focused on just a few educational sessions, and still woke up at 0430 and stayed out until midnight, but I put down my phone and focused on the people who were in the room with me. It turned out to be a very good strategy. I was able to meet a lot more people in passing, and when we smiled or laughed my entire mood was lifted and I felt less tired.
    I enjoyed my time immensely. I attended the Volunteer Summit which taught me a lot about how to be of service for my Dallas chapter. I served as a delegate and learned so much about just how much AORN does for its members and to better perioperative practices globally. I learned so much during the educational sessions, and I cannot wait to bring new practices, theories, and ideologies to Parkland Hospital.
    Because the Educational Hub was restored, I could review sessions I missed or sessions that happened at the same time. AORN also gave us 15 minute breaks, which was great when I needed 10 of them to sprint from the posters to the Grand Ball Room.
I enjoyed being on stage as a member of the Awards Committee, and was humbled to receive the 40 Under 40 Award and meet amazing young professionals, many of whom I inspire to be like. I went to Zumba and Yoga and was grateful for the mindfulness and meditation that physical activity can provide. During the T-Party I was able to visit with old friends and make new ones, and I was able to mentor a new attendee and create a life-long friend. During the Scanlan party I saw old friends, danced with new ones, and spoke with an OR educator at Indianapolis University.
I learned about a peer support program, mentorship training, succession training, new OSI tables, SPD retention programs, and a lot about developing a healthy relationship with your heart and mind. All in all, I could not have asked for a better celebration of my hard work and the OR that I love.
Thank you to the Dallas chapter, for sponsoring me as a delegate for our fine state. We have much to learn from our friends in Greater Houston, who won the Overall and Gold Award for Large Chapter Excellence. We were not shy, and I do believe that Texas was the loudest state. I am proud of what we have done, and all that we can do. Thank you for believing me and in the Power of You.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Perioperative Nurse Residencies

Open Communication in the OR

Critical Observation: Part 6