What is Your Health Worth?

You deserve more than that plate could ever give you.

I bet you do not subconsciously think about why you feel like you deserve food. Many of us have been raised with the idea of food being much more than fuel to continue to work and live and breathe.

Many of us were raised with dinner being the center-point of the day, when you were reconnected with family or as a much-needed relaxation from the hectic day.

In my experience, it didn't help that my mother made dinner an obligation and my father actually being present (not at work or in front of the TV) that made dinner my favorite time of day. No wonder I developed a sincere and honest craving for a home cooked meal, because it meant love, not just food.

That continued into college and it was only when I lived alone that yes, food remained a way to connect with others. But no, dinner was no longer a daily reminder that I am not alone in this world.




Food may give you a little comfort, a flash back of a good memory. You may feel more connected to the stranger you're sitting across, perhaps you're not sure what you have in common besides the food and it becomes a security blanket.

But what if we focused on food as fuel. The lean protein and good carbohydrate literally giving you life?

As nurses, can you really, truly refute that to be true? We all went through nutrition as a basic pre-req, but I'm not sure I even made a B in the course. Not when I was learning about the anatomy of skin and the microorganisms on my cell phone.



If prevention is the best medication - the absence of illness is health, than how can we say that your lifestyle, including diet and exercise, is less important than the supplements or medications we prescribe to treat a disease?

Do not doubt that the whole world is watching us, the nursing population, not only dwindle and be unsustainable, but be hypocrites about the healthy lifestyle we ask of our patients and the reality that we live in each day.

Take control of your ability to be a role model, and mirror it with your natural tendencies to nurture and care for patients.

You are worth health. In every sense of the phrase.

- Do Good Only

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Perioperative Nurse Residencies

Open Communication in the OR

Teamwork: Part 3