Problem Solving: Part 5


Problem Solving

There are so many times wherein you are the gate keeper of the peace. Peace for the interpersonal relationships as much as you keep the peace while looking for something you know won’t be there.

I’ll give you a few examples of how I’ve used creativity, clinical reasoning, and innovation in my daily flow. It’s something I take pride in, even if I don’t come up with the answer, at least we have a few to work with to get the best situation for the room. Usually using SBAR or some version of the perfect problem solving communication tool. Do not come at me with a problem without a recommendation – that just means you’re looking for a cop out.

One time, I was leaving work and my friend was holding the door open. I love this woman, she’s the mother of my cousin’s husband, but I very rarely see her. So I stopped next to her, only to find out that she was holding the door open because the other side of the double-doors was locked, and it was the one with a handle to let people into the employee entrance. Namely, if she wasn’t holding the door open and no one was leaving, employees could not get in to go to work.

So we discussed what she had done, calling security and the house sup 10 minutes ago. Not a good enough answer for me, I was heading to the gym and there was no way I would just leave her there for another unknown 10 minutes.

So I looked around for a door stop, a heavy X to hold open the door, and I found the only thing at my disposal – the other door’s carpet. Done deal, that’s the end. We stuck it under the door and were so happy that it actually worked. We both walked to our cars.

Now there are some times when you problem solve because you do not have what the surgeons request. Sometimes they wait until they’re scrubbed in to realize that you don’t have it on the field or during the case they realize that they need something with a little more umph than what is on the field. Regardless, you don’t know what it is or you can’t find it or you know you don’t have it.

Problem solve. What’s the closest thing you’ve got? Don’t come back to the room empty handed, give them as many options as you can. If it’s suture, what’s the closest needle/closest thread/maybe it’s double armed and you can cut in on the field?

Maybe it’s a grasper, and SPD can’t find it (you’re not sure it exists either, you’ve never seen that grasper in your life). Well, there’s what’s in the set but also acknowledging that you’re very sorry, but you’ll email the coordinator in charge. Problem solving doesn’t have to be able breaking your back, most people just want to be heard and validated.

Dr. J, I am so sorry we did not discuss this grasper before the case, I cannot find it. I will look myself in between cases if you want it for your next case. I will also email and suggest we purchase them or buy more so you can have them for every case. What else can I do for you during this case?

Acknowledge that they’re frustrated and it’s because of you.

Validate that the case is much harder without whatever they need, and you’re sorry.

Ask what you can do for them right now.

Forgive yourself, remember to ask what they need before they scrub in, and move on.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Perioperative Nurse Residencies

Critical Observation: Part 6

Open Communication in the OR